If you live in Florida, chances are you have heard or read about “harmful algal blooms” commonly referred to as HABs. We have received many requests for an episode on this topic, so…here it is! What are algae? What is a HAB? Are all algae bad? Learn this and more in this “Naturally Florida” podcast episode.
New Episode from Naturally FloridaNaturally Florida (a podcast about Florida’s natural areas and the wild things that live here) recently released a new episode about algae, algae blooms, and harmful algae blooms. Check it out, below on Spotify, or on your favorite podcast platform. If you enjoyed this episode about algae, please consider sharing it with a friend. You can find all the podcast platforms where Naturally Florida is published, submit feedback, or request future topics at www.naturallyfloridapodcast.com
- Protecting Florida Together – https://protectingfloridatogether.gov/
- Marine HABs – https://myfwc.com/redtide/
- Freshwater HABs – https://floridadep.gov/AlgalBloom
- U.S. National Office for Harmful Algal Blooms – https://hab.whoi.edu/
How You Can Help:
- Limit your contribution to excess nutrients by fertilizing only when necessary, ensuring you blow grass clippings back on the landscape (not down a storm drain…that’s illegal), plant native plants to help with nutrient uptake, and check that your down spout is directed into your landscape and not down your driveway.
- Report an algal bloom in a freshwater system – www.reportalgalbloom.com
- Report fish kills at the Fish Kill Hotline 1-800-636-0511
- Avoid contact with water that has algae blooms
Sources for this Episode:
- Historical Occurrence of HABs – https://hab.whoi.edu/about/historical-occurrence-of-habs/
- An Introduction to Harmful Algal Blooms (HABs) in Florida – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOi156_jl9c
- Harmful Algal Blooms – https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/topics/harmful_algal_blooms